Tips for Smooth Practising Certificate Renewal

Spring-summer season is peak time for renewing practising certificates for teachers. If that includes you, here’s what you need to know.

According to the Teaching Council of Aotearoa, spring and summer brings the highest volume of applications for pracitising certificate renewals.

Read the Term 3 edition of School News HERE 

If yours is among those applications, here are some tips for ensuring your application goes smoothly.  

  • In the past three to four years, most practising certificates have been issued online. To get yours issued online, you will need to log in to Hapori Matatū, the TCA’s online teaching community. You will need your Education Sector Logon (ESL). If you’ve previously been issued a certificate online, you will have an existing ESL. 
  • To check if your ESL has Hapori Matatū access, you can check under the tab “Roles and Organisations” at the MoE’s Self-Service kiosk 
  • If you need help with your ESL, whether that’s checking if you have one, or if you’ve forgotten the username or pass-phrase, you should get in touch with your school, kura or ECE’s ESL Delegated Authoriser (DA) or the MoE Service Desk 
  • Teachers without an ESL can refer to the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand’s website on how to set one up.   
  • Additional help with Hapori Matatū can be found in the User Guide 

Naomii Seah

Naomii Seah is a writer and journalist from Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand. She enjoys crochet, painting, and a coffee or two at the beach. Her work can be found at The Spinoff, The Pantograph Punch, Stuff, and of course, School News NZ.
Back to top button