Week-long event aims to promote trades and services careers

SND18-wk3-Got a Trade WeekGOT A TRADE WEEK 2015, being held from August 21-28, is part of a national campaign to raise awareness of on-the-job training and careers in New Zealand’s trades and services.

It also celebrates the talents and achievements of Kiwis making headway in their vocation. New Zealand needs more skilled people in trades and services.

The 2014 Talent Shortage Survey, conducted by Manpower Group, shows that engineers, technicians and skilled trades are among the top-five jobs employers have difficulty filling. Globally, skilled trades are the highest in demand.

GOT A TRADE WEEK 2015 speaks to school leavers, as well as parents and teachers. More than 34,000 young New Zealanders, a fifth of people aged 16-24 years, are not currently working, studying or training. They are not developing the skills they need to compete in the workforce.

“Only 20 per cent of school leavers go to university. This event is about showcasing the opportunities that exist out there for the other 80 per cent,” chairperson of GOT A TRADE WEEK, Rachel Hopkins says.

“This is an important conversation for jobseekers, for educators and for whanau. Around the world, countries are looking to apprenticeships and on-the-job training to build the skills needed for the future. New Zealand needs this too.”

The inaugural GOT A TRADE WEEK 2015 encompasses more than 50 events nationwide, providing school leavers and parents with a unique opportunity to get up-close and personal with on-the-job training in New Zealand’s trades and services.

Trades and services typically refer to jobs that require practical skills and on-the-job training. This includes everything from construction, engineering and transport, to hairdressing, hospitality and retail. There are hundreds of roles to choose from and long-term career prospects for young people who are keen to work and willing to learn.

Highlights of the week include:

• OPEN DAYS, TOURS AND TASTERS | August 24-28 | Nationwide
Take a tour of the workplace, see live demonstrations and meet apprentices who are already working in the industry.
Providing New Zealand’s ‘bright young things’ in trades and services with the tools to further their careers.
• SPEEDMEET | August 27 | Wellington
Connecting school leavers with prospective employers in New Zealand’s trades and services.
• WORKCHOICE TEACHERS’ DAY | August 28 | Christchurch
Professional development for educators that offers a fresh perspective on the world of work.

GOT A TRADE WEEK 2015 brings to life the needs and aspirations of young Kiwis as they find their place in the world and promotes the sense of pride that comes from personal and professional development on-the-job.



Rosie Clarke

Rosie is the managing editor here at Multimedia Pty Ltd, working across School News New Zealand and School News Australia. She has spent 10+ years in B2B journalism, and has spent some time over the last couple of years teaching as a sessional academic. Feel free to contact her at any time with editorial or magazine content enquiries.
Check Also
Back to top button